Boating; Fishing Trip from Hell

Speaking of mutinies, I seldom approve but there are times and places for everything. I think Saturday and overnight Sunday might have been a perfect scenario. Several members of our world famous "Dead End Canal Yacht Club" wanted to do some deep sea fishing. As you know, deep in the Gulf of Mexico means way out there.

http://www.soundingsonline.com/dispatches/290946-video-marlin-jumps-into-boat

The Captain of a local fishing charter boat promised 24 hours of blissful fishing 80 miles from shore. They always promise something like that but rarely fulfill the dream. "That's why they call it fishing, not catching," is there standard retort.

The rest of the club was involved in our Sunday brunch so we didn't pay much attention. I did inquire if they'd filed a float plan but that was the extent of my concern.

They got back in on Sunday at 6:30 pm and no one saw them until happy hour at the Big Game Waterfront Grill on Tuesday. We could tell they were fishing rather than catching by the tightness of their jaw lines. "Wosrt trip I've ever been on," said Cleveland Jack. Toronto Jeff didn't want to talk about it so he moved away.

No fish, we asked. "A lot of shark but it was too rough for the anchor to hold way out there. 80 miles or so, I guess. Just a really rough trip. My back is so sore from all the pounding in 6 foot seas that I don't think I'll straighten up for a month," Jack said.

Why so far, we asked. That's where the big fish are but we didn't see any, just sharks. The mate said the seas would settle after daybreak but they didn't. I swear they got rougher. I didn't fish because I had to hang on. We headed back and caught our only keepers around 30 miles out."

I made the observation that a fishing Captain and his two mates are used to large seas and they probably thought nothing of it. "Didn't have to go that far," Jack said. We all agreed not to fish with that Captain and to ask more questions if we ever charter another fishing trip.

"It's up to us to make the decision, go deep or not. He's getting paid for fish but also for a comfortable expierence!"

Boatguy Ed (boatguiEd@aol.com) is the manufacturer of the worlds BEST anti-fouling bottom paint,www.supershipbottom.com. TWEET me @boatguyed and a corresponding web site is http://www.boatingbyboatguyed.com/ ........ NEVER, EVER TRY TO BUY HIM A DRINK!

This blog/column is meant for educational purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. Void where prohibited. Some assembly required. Do not read while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boating; Captain Manny Lee and Corazon Frisbee!

Boating; Nude beach, does Ft. Myers Beach really need another one?