Boating; Thieves

It's only a month before the snowbirds return, some are already here by the look of the long tables in a few Beach bars. It hasn't been a good summer for the young people and some have resorted to crime to get themselves through September.

I heard a quiet squeak and then a splash. I'd been visited by the midnight maurader before so I rolled out of bed and flipped on the dock lights. I could see nothing so I picked up my shotgun and walked out through the pool cage wondering if I could invoke the "Stand Your Ground " law if I shot the maurader.

I stayed in the shadow and waited for the timer on the lights to turn them off. Then it was total darkness and my eyes strained to adjust. I waited until I was nearly asleep again before I heard the second squeak. 'Why you cheeky bastard,' I thought.

The noise was coming from two houses down the canal and I recognized the sound of a ill-used boat lift motor being hand lowered. It had to be Chicago Mike's boat they were after. His Grady White is worth a lot of money even though it's never used because Mike is never on the canal.

I used my cell phone to call Erie Earl, "Who the fuck is this," he said in a sleepy way. I told him to turn on some outside lights. "Yeah, there was a guy on the lift and he jumped into a dinghy. They're way down the canal, now. I'll call the Sheriff in the morning. Don't ever call me again at this time.... Click, I hung up and went back to sleep.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boating; Captain Manny Lee and Corazon Frisbee!

Boating; Nude beach, does Ft. Myers Beach really need another one?

Boating; Fishing Trip from Hell