Boating; Easter Bait & Peeps



by boatguy Ed



“It's a very confused times for Spring Break and Easter vacations. Some of the vacations overlap so the little ones will be on the beach the same time as the College kids,” said 'Punxsutawney Phil' who had promised his grandson that I would catch him live bait for their Easter fishing trip.

“We need a back-up plan besides the Easter egg hunt and the Easter 'bait' thing. You all know we don't throw a cast net as good as we used to so the chances are slim unless conditions are perfect,” said 'Run-aground Ralph.'

“We can pull a fast one on them like we did a few years ago,” said 'Erie Earl', “buy a couple dozen bait fish and leave 'em in the forward live well just in case.”

“That might have worked on Johnny three years ago when he was six but these kids are growing up fast. Maybe we can hire a guide to come with us at 6 in the morning,” said 'Punxsutawney Phil'.

“Hogwash,” I interjected, “I throw as good a net today as I did ten years ago.” Several members pointed out the fact that although I can still get a nice round pattern with the net, I have to grunt louder while throwing it. The additional noise reduces the catch because the bait are forewarned.

“I'd bring my son along,” said 'Boston Bob' (He moved down from New York City), “but he won't get out of bed that early and he doesn't know how to cast net.”

“Teach him in an hour,” said 'Native Bob' who claims Florida ancestors all the way back to the Calusa Indians. “The Calusas invented the net and my grand-daddy invented the modern cast net.”

“I suppose one of your relatives was the one who shot Ponce De Leon with the arrow that killed him,” asked 'Boston Bob', the skeptic.

Native Bob shook his head, “Naw, if it was my kin, Ponce would have died on the spot instead of making it all the way back to Cuba before expiring.” The Bobs love to spar. Native or Cracker Bob does a good down home imitation even though he is graduate of Florida University, Go Gators.

“Practice, good weather and a lot of luck is what you really need,” said Commodore Jim. “And by the way I wish all of that to you but I won't be going with you.”

“Smart move,” said Mrs. 'Run-aground Ralph', “I'm going to start boiling eggs this afternoon. I need volunteers to help me color them. A few dozen should be enough because the kids won't eat them.” We all agreed they make great 'Diviled Eggs!'

“Who changed the calendar? This week is a mess. Coming and going and going and coming. We had to shuffle three families through Disney Parks just to keep everything straight,” said 'Erie Earl'.

“I'm taking Phil and Johnny on a early morning excursion. My boat holds eight if everyone stays put. I'll be throwing my cast net as long as I can. You are all welcome to try a hand and maybe Johnny is old enough to try,” I said confidently.

“I'm going to buy some Peeps for my family,” said Cleveland Jack. “Just in case there's no bait.” We all thought that was a fairly lame idea until he raised his smart phone up close to his lips and said, “Live Peeps in Southwest Florida”!

“LIVE, are you crazy,” shouted Mrs. Boston Bob. Jack nodded. “What's the matter with you? They make a mess and they grow up to be Chickens or worst, Roosters!”

“I had some when I was a kid! We loved them.... but they were mostly males and after while we had to take them out to a farmer,” said 'Punxsutawney Phil.

“My Grandson, Gary can't come down and we can't go up. The misses is still working. I'm so busy with back-flow testing and repair that I can't get away. I figure he needs a special gift, something really new like the Resurrection of Easter,” said Jack. “Maybe FedEx to the rescue.”

“I think it's a darn good idea,” said Commodore Jim, “but I won't be participating! I can't wait to see the hidden Easter Eggs and the peeps around on your front lawns.”

“Says here,” Jack held up his smart phone, ”that you can rent peeps from some organic farmers in order to find out if you and the baby chicks are compatible!” Jack passed the phone around with his reading glasses so we could read the screen. Half of us didn't know how to re-invigorate the screen when it timed out so it came back to Jack after only half of us saw the answer for 'rental peeps'.

Phil started chuckling. “That is a fantastic idea sending Gary one?” Jack nodded but without his usual 'can do confidence' because he didn't know if he had enough time. “I'm in with you. It's the best back up plan I've ever heard of for the 'Easter Bait' promise.”

“I'm not going to have them running around in my house,” said ALL the women present, in perfect unison. “The little ones might like them but the real little ones will be throwing them at each other and Johnny won't accept them as replacements. He's nine and wants to fish,” said Mrs' Phil.

“We're still going fishing. The weather will be perfect one day and in the mean time the peeps will keep them occupied,” I said. Great plan, Jack!

Send questions and comments to boatguiEd@aol.com. Boatguy Ed is a semi-retired marine manufacturer, www.supershipbottom.com. This column is meant for educational purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. Void where prohibited. Some assembly required. Do not read while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boating; Captain Manny Lee and Corazon Frisbee!

Boating; Nude beach, does Ft. Myers Beach really need another one?

Boating; Fishing Trip from Hell