Real Ghost Stories

I am going to be so happy when the Ghouls night is over this year. It all seems so phony when you've experienced the real thing. When I was a teenager we had real ghosts and goblins. There weren't tourist maps but there were local legends galore. Along Pa. Route 351 between Elwood City and New Galilee a disfigured figure would walk nightly.

Near a popular reservoir there were many roads that were disrupted by the body of water so the dead ended or were diverted. The rolling country gave the roads a coaster feel. Legend had it that a hunter many years before mistook a small girl for some type of game and shot her. She died many days later and haunted the lonely country road.

I shook hands with both of those legends so I don't fear Hollywood's phony boooo! stories. Dracula, suck on this! Wolf-man, go chase a truck! But I am a little Leary of Frankenstein's Monster just because he's not a ghost but is somewhat viable with the advancement of modern science.

As with most ghost stories, my personal stories begin with half truths and hyperbole. Although there is a modicum of truth throughout. First, there was the Green Man. He was very elusive only because he often ducked away from approaching headlights as he walked his road at night.

We were incredibly lucky to have found him twice. I think it had to do with us shouting his name, “Ray, Raymond, Ray.” from the open car windows. He wanted us to stop bothering his neighbors. We never called him Green Man or the more appropriate nickname “No Face.”

Seeing him step out of the dark and into the headlights was a real shock for us and the girls we brought the second time. We gave him beer and shook what was left of one hand. He seemed to enjoy the squealing the girls emitted. Summers and weekends were his favorite. He sat on a stump or fence while we opened his beers but then a crowd of cars would stop and he would disappear.

He died in 1983 at a moderately old age for someone who had been so severely electrically burned at age 12.

We didn't have to travel far to see the Ghost Lights. Although they were as temperamental as Raymond. Warm summer or early fall evenings after a morning rain were ideal. My best buddies left me on the side of the road with the lights dancing around me. I got out to take care of some business and my buddy Larry drove away.

I knew they would return so I took advantage of the moment in my Parapsychological Research. As the other ghost hunters drove down the humped road, the Ghosts jumped and danced in front of them but they disappeared with the cars. I lost my fear of them when I realized what I was seeing. I even lit a match to draw them nearer so I could shake their hands.


I hid from Larry's Purple Chevy with the glass pack mufflers twice just to see him with a worried look. They were disappointed that my hair hadn't turned white but they knew what the Ghost lights were as well as I did. Another ploy to get a girl to snuggle up real close! IF YOU THINK YOU KNOW THE TRUTH, WIN A PRIZE BY COMMENTING ON THIS BLOG. 

Newspaper story. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Robinson_(Green_Man)

This blog/column is meant for educational purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. All images are merely for humor and not meant to comment on subject. Void where prohibited. Some assembly required. Do not read while operating a vehicle or heavy machinery. Keep sending those great questions and comments! (Contact) boatguied@aol.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boating; Captain Manny Lee and Corazon Frisbee!

Boating; Nude beach, does Ft. Myers Beach really need another one?

Boating; Fishing Trip from Hell