Remembering The Split Rail Restaurant?



Does Anyone Else Remember The Split Rail Restaurant?

It was once a favorite place for beach ppl for breakfast and lunch. Us younger members of the “Dead End Canal Yacht Club” could pull our small boats up to the rickety dock and have a beer and a few chicken wings in the late afternoon. I'm sure you've guessed that I write of a long ago era before happy hours became the rage. Circa 1990!

My wife, Marion and I lived at the Boardwalk Caper which was a boater's paradise but not on the DEC. We ate breakfast often at the Split Rail and I attribute much of my heart problems to those delicious heart cloggers. Me, myself and I ate there three mornings a week for a solid 15 years because my office was on the beach.

I'm not sure how many Greek immigrants began washing dishes so they could learn to bus tables then run the fryer and fry the eggs before becoming the owner but I remember a half dozen. It used to be a great way to chain migrate to America but all good things come to an end. Gradually, the home fries shrank, the bacon went from three slices to two and the real butter became Oleo.

I and many of the regulars grumbled to the front of the house manager but the new real owner/manager ignored the coming storm. Finally the bowl that held the 1/2&1/2 was filled with non-dairy creamer. Yikes!

Even way back then I spoke my piece. Some say too freely and I've been banished from a few places for my opinions. But, in this case I laid down an ultimatum! Bring back the 1/2&1/2 or a year from this day you won't have seen me for a year. All the waitress and the front end manager chuckled because they knew how much I loved the place. There was no way I could stay away.

My wife knew better and she pleaded with me because everyone in the front was like family. She even offered to carry a little bottle of cream but when we were told we had to order a whole glass of milk to mix with the cream she realized her efforts were wasted. And so one month became 12 and the car count dwindled and the staff left NOT just because of me but of all the changes.

We tried a lot of beach places and really liked the Gulfshore but we were at a loss until we came across Marti's Restaurant even further off the beach. They serve a down home breakfast and are as no nonsense as the 'Rail' used to be. Marion made friends with several waitress' and of course Marti. They put up with me and still have 1/2&1/2 for our coffee!

The best thing the Split Rail ever did was to lead us to the Dead End Canal. During a discussion about a home for sale on a canal on the beach we were blessed by local knowledge. That is how I became a member and past Commodore of the Dead End Canal Yacht Club. I do still miss the old 'Rail.' It's been closed many years but we have the memories and Crazy Alice who worked there and is now at the Pukin' Pelican! Boat Safe!!!

This blog/column is meant for educational purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. All images are merely for humor and not meant to comment on subject. Void where prohibited. Some assembly required. Do not read while operating a vehicle or heavy machinery. Keep sending those great questions and comments! (Contact) boatguied@aol.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boating; Captain Manny Lee and Corazon Frisbee!

Boating; Nude beach, does Ft. Myers Beach really need another one?

Boating; Fishing Trip from Hell