DECYC Education Sunday on Fort Myers Beach

The first Sunday of the month is 'Education Sunday' and every senior member of the 'Dead End Canal Yacht Club' is in the rotation for teaching. Last Sunday was my turn. I wanted to teach about Ethics in Business but the Education Committee thought that was way beyond our little groups ability to absorb since most were retired scoundrels.

I was slightly disappointed because I was hoping to use as an example a local business' firing of a long time employee because she got breast Cancer and her Chemo treatment was interfering with her job. Oh well, I picked another topic. One that would guarantee it would be a short session, Sailing. Of the 20 something eager faces looking up at me from the folding seats, I expected that no more than 5 would remain after my opening statement and slide.

The sound of wooden chairs being slammed together for storage was thunderous and I'm sure the departing members were thankful for an early out so they could watch NFL football at the 'Pukin' Pelican Sport's Bar just at the end of the canal.

"I do miss all the big screen TV's at the other place but I'll never go back there," said Boston Bob while he waited for the non-sailors to clear out.

"I still can't believe it," said Hard Luck Hanna, "never heard of such a thing."

"The Pelican put up four more screens and they have the NFL package now so if we get there early enough, we should all have a lot of fun. Who needs that other place. Nobody goes there anymore," I said.

(This blog/column is meant for educational purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. Void where prohibited. Some assembly required. Do not read while operating a vehicle or heavy machinery. Keep sending those great questions and comments or I'm going to stop doing this, I'm not kidding! (Contact) DeadEndCanalYC@aol.com)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boating; Captain Manny Lee and Corazon Frisbee!

Boating; Nude beach, does Ft. Myers Beach really need another one?

Boating; Fishing Trip from Hell