Boating Comes Early to the Canal

by boatguy Ed

Cap'n Crunch took a picture of yours truly standing at the wheel of 'the' favorite boat many years ago. There I am tall, broad shouldered, jaw set, wind blowing through my hair (like I said it was many years ago) red bearded, skipper of my boat.

Every boater should have his/her favorite boat picture prominently displayed within easy view of aging eyes. I had a large print made and framed to sit on my desk. A warm rush goes through me whenever I see that picture. Not because I think I was so handsome but because it reminds me of a very happy day.

My desk is a pile of clutter. It goes with the territory. Quite often, when I am not home, my wife undertakes the task of organizing the 'pile' and then I can see my picture again. (Insert warm glow, here) But after the last attempt at organization, my picture did not re-appear. It bothered my addled mind briefly and then six other thoughts pushed through.

Then last week a large painting of that moment was hung on the wall of my office. I was amazed and very happy to see myself blown up to such a large proportion. It would take nearly twenty years and a lot of Pabst Blur Ribbon to achieve my gargantuan figure.

I quickly surmised it was my wifes doing and I tracked her down and thanked her greatly. She explained that the photo wasn't a painting but a very large print on artist canvas made by a “Dead End Canal Yacht Club” member, 'Signman Dan' owner of 'Dan Signs'.

I immediately had an epiphany. “Gadzooks,” I shouted as I sprinted to my truck and drove at breakneck speed to Main street on San Carlos Island. Across from Salty Sam's Marina and Parrot Key Caribbean Grill is a elevated house that Dan uses as his HQ for Dan Signs Inc.
Up one flight of stairs was my unflappable friend 'Signman Dan'.

“I've had a great idea since I got my photo on canvas, and by the way thank you 'cause I love it. My idea is a picture of my friend's father, actually he was a surrogate father to all the kids in the neighborhood when we were growing up. I want you to make me a photo on canvas of him so I can send it out to my very rich, star of stage, screen and television, CAN YOU DO THAT,” I said allowing my emotions to take control.

“Yes.” I dislike people who ares SO calm in the face of my mania but you can't really dislike Dan because he has everything under control. “How?” Then Dan calmly explained that I could bring him the photo or e-mail him the photo and he would print it on the canvas using a huge printer.

He only needed to know the size I desired.

“That's too easy,” I exclaimed. “I want it to hard, laborious, difficult and expensive!”

“Sorry,' said 'Signman Dan' as he handed me the brochure with the sizes and prices on it. I wanted a billboard but settled on a large but tasteful size.

My friend's father, he was my friend too, passed a year ago. What can you buy a famous, rich friend who has everything? I wish I could be there when he opens the mail!

You can reach 'Signman Dan' at 463-3656 and get any favorite photo on canvas. Tell him you saw it in this column!

Happy holidays and many more from all the members of the DECYC. See ya'll at the party. Contact info; boatguied@aol.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boating; Captain Manny Lee and Corazon Frisbee!

Boating; Nude beach, does Ft. Myers Beach really need another one?

Boating; Fishing Trip from Hell